You are hereHome › Older Adults ›
Meals on Wheels
Meals on Wheels provides hot, nutritious noon meals to people with limited mobility who are unable to prepare their own meals. The meals are provided by local caterers and delivered by volunteers. In addition, program coordinators meet with each individual to discuss nutrition and other services available to aid them in remaining independent.
- Persons 60 years of age or older who are unable to prepare hot, nutritious meals on a regular basis and are unable to drive to a meal site, restaurant, or grocery store.
- Persons under 60 years of age who are disabled or terminally ill and unable to prepare hot, nutritious meals on a regular basis and are unable to drive to a meal site, restaurant, or grocery store.
- Participants must be able to feed themselves or have someone available who can feed them.
- Participants must reside in one of the communities served. If a person lives outside of the city limits delivery may not be available. Call for details. Family members are encouraged to help deliver meals in rural areas. Participant's nurse, aide, or homemaker may also pick up the meal on the way to the participant's home.
- A caregiver or spouse may receive a meal if their caregiving prevents them from being able to make hot nutritious meals.
- Persons needing meals on a temporary basis while recuperating from an illness or operation and fitting the above criteria are aslo eligible.
Meals are delivered five days a week. Suggested donations for meal recipients over 60 are $4.50/meal. Individuals and families should check with their insurance agency to inquire about assistance with the cost of the meal. In the case of severe weather, meals will not be delivered. Most caterers can provide low-sodium or diabetic diets, but cannot provide a menu or accomodate preferences (i.e. peas vs. carrots). Special needs discussed during the Program Coordinator home visit. Gluten-free diets are not available.
Community Service Area:
- Cannon Falls
- Pine Island
Drive for Meals-On-Wheels! Your commitment can be one day a month, one week a year, two weeks a year, substitute or whenever you can. We are flexible!.
To sign up, call 800-277-8418 or download the application and return to Three Rivers Community Action, Inc.
- Housing Development
- Support Services
- Early Childhood
- Older Adults