Meals on Wheels provides hot, nutritious noon meals to home-bound people unable to prepare their own meals. The meals are provided by local caterers and delivered by volunteers. In addition, program coordinators meet with each individual to discuss nutrition and other services available to aid them in remaining independent.
- Persons 60 years of age or older who are unable to prepare hot, nutritious meals on a regular basis and are unable to drive to a meal site, restaurant, or grocery store.
- Persons under 60 years of age who are disabled or terminally ill and unable to prepare hot, nutritious meals on a regular basis and are unable to drive to a meal site, restaurant, or grocery store.
- Participants must be able to feed themselves or have someone available who can feed them.
- Participants must reside in one of the communities served. If a person lives outside of the city limits delivery may not be available. Call for details. Family members are encourages to help deliver meals in rural areas. Participant's nurse, aide, or homemaker may also pick up the meal on the way to the participant's home.
- A caregiver or spouse may receive a meal if their caregiving prevents them from being available to make hot nutritious meals.
- Persons needing meals on a temporary basis while recuperating from an illness or operation and fitting the above criteria are aslo eligible.
Meals are delivered five days a week. Suggested donations for meal recipients over 60 are $4.50/meal. Under 60 are $7.00/meal. Low income individuals and families should check with their insurance agency paying the full cost of the meal. In the case of severe weather, meals will not be delivered. Most caterers can provide low-sodium or diabetic diets, but cannot provide a menu or accomodate preferences (i.e. peas vs. carrots). Special needs discussed during the Program Coordinator home visit. Gluten-free diets are not available.
Community Service Area:
- Cannon Falls
- Pine Island
Gift Certificates Available!
Three Rivers Community Action’s, Meals-On-Wheels program, is funded through a combination of donations, Federal, State, and local funds. We do not “charge” for meals, but we ask for donations. A Meals-on-Wheels gift certificate will be accepted. To purchase a gift certificate(s) visit our Zumbrota, Wabasha, or Faribault office. To purchase by mail, fill out this gift certificate request form and send out our Zumbrota office with your check or money order to: Three Rivers Community Action, Inc. 1414 North Star Drive, Zumbrota, MN 55992. We will send you a gift certificate to give to the recipient and a copy for your records.
Drive for Meals-On-Wheels! Your commitment can be one day a month, one week a year, two weeks a year, substitute or whenever you can. We are flexible. We deliver in the following communities
• Cannon Falls
• Pine Island
To sign up, call 800-277-8418 or download the application and return to Three Rivers Community Action, Inc.
Three Rivers Community Action, Inc.
800-277-8418 (toll free)
Funding for this program provided by:
- Southeastern MN Area Agency on Aging
- United Way Rice County
- United Way of Goodhue, Wabasha and Pierce Counties
- Older Americans Act (Title III)
- Community funds of Pine Island, Wabasha, Greenfield and Cannon Falls
- Area civic organizations, such as American Legions, Lion Clubs, VFW's, etc.
- Donations from area businesses and individuals
- Housing Development
- Support Services
- Early Childhood
- Older Adults
- Continuum of Care